Prana Lens


Ali Rogers

Waking up in Vista Mar Marina

I got to the boat after midnight on Thursday night - excited about the hot air, smell of saltwater, abundance of stars, and spending my first night being swayed to sleep by the waves.

Rachel was gone for a couple days, so Josh and I chatted a bit before we called it a night, and I awoke the next morning to him making coffee with the bright sun streaming through and the sound of marina radio coming through the walky talky.


Their buddy-boat neighbor, John, came by for coffee a few minutes later, and the three of us spent the next 2-3 hours just hanging and talking up in the cockpit in that morning sunlight. John and his wife said goodbye to their Seattle life and met Josh + Rachel in Mexico. They’ve been inseparable (buddy-boating their way around Mexico and Central America) ever since!

John’s wife Becca was with Rachel, crewing a boat through the Panama canal when I got here. So, Friday was a boys day here at the Marina. The whole cruising community is like family — the neighbor boats are a mixture of families with kids and other couples that all spend time together throughout the day.

The other families (especially the kids) LOVE John + Josh. The young girls gave the guys mohawk haircuts and painted their toenails (with floral designs and all the colors of the rainbow, I might add). Josh is a total kid at heart, so he was playing tag with them on the docks and in the water, too. I joined but was out after a half hour - what used to be a game feels way more like a workout when you’re in your 30s ;)

I spent the next few hours laying around trying to avoid the sun while Josh did a couple little boat projects. At 4pm we went out on John’s boat to fish — or an excuse for a sunset booze cruise…

Everyone here is eager to get back out on open water. Some of these boats have been here for 7 months waiting for new parts or waiting for the winds to change. It’s wild. I can’t imagine how restless that would feel to live on a boat that’s endlessly docked.

We’re just here for a couple more days getting things ready (actually, Josh + Rachel are getting things ready - I’m writing this blog post and doing the hard work of acclimating ;)

We’ll sail ~4 hours to a nearby island for a night or two, then onto another nearby island. We’ll potentially head up the Darien River for a week to visit some tribes and see monkeys, crocodiles, and other jungle creatures after that. I hear this is a unique opportunity, especially via sailboat. To be honest, I’m not all that excited about it - I’m more eager to get out onto the big blue and head to the South Pacific, but either way will be great. It’s absurd to be deciding between such amazing options… still pinching myself!

Here’s a little random collage of clips from Day One — in no way a complete story, just some highlights from random pockets of the day!